To keep IT or to toss IT? That is the question of the day.
Sorting through items as you go through your decluttering process is tough and deciding to Keep, Donate, Shred, Sell, Trash or Move items can honestly be an exhausting experience. It often leads to the #2 most often asked question I get (#1 being “Where do I begin?”) is “How do I know if I should Keep IT or Toss IT?” IT being whatever the item is. And to be honest, only you will know if you should keep or toss an item. However, there are questions you can ask yourself, if you are feeling stuck during your sorting process to help you to decide whether you should keep IT or toss IT.
As you go through this process, be sure to ask and answer these questions aloud. When you speak it and hear it, you own it. Make it a goal to be honest with yourself and only keep the items that you use regularly and truly love.
Keep it or Toss it Questions
- Do I use IT on a regular basis?
- When was the last time I used IT?
- Will I use IT again?
- Does IT serve a purpose?
- If I don’t use IT regularly, do I love IT?
- Could I borrow IT from a friend?
- Am I wanting to keep IT because I feel like I should love IT?
- Am I keeping IT out of obligation?
- Am I saving IT… just in case?
- If IT was missing, would I miss IT?
- Was IT a gift?
- If I decide I need IT in the future, could IT be easily replaced?
- Would I contact someone I can’t stand, just to get IT back?
- Do I have multiples of IT?
- Could something else I own do the same job?
- Does IT have sentimental value?
- Does IT work?
- If IT is broken, am I holding on to IT to fix “someday”?
- Am I keeping IT because I paid a lot of money for IT?
- If I were shopping, would I buy IT?
- Is IT worth the time I spend cleaning or storing IT?
- Could I use the space IT takes up for something else?
- What is the worst thing that could happen if I let IT go?
- Does IT help me reach my goals?
- Will the world stop spinning if I don’t keep IT?
Asking these questions may seem silly at first, but by doing so, you will soon figure out if you should keep IT or toss IT. Plus, you’ll find you won’t be asking yourself as many of the questions, as you go along. You’ll already know the answer. It’s a freeing experience.
Try it out and let me know how it goes for you. I’d love to hear.
Here’s to determining if you should keep IT or toss IT and RESETTING your life!
Organization isn’t about perfection; it’s about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money, and improving your overall quality of life.”
– CHRISTINA SCALISE
P.S. If you found this post useful, please be sure to share it on Facebook, on Pinterest, or with others who may like it as well. Also, be sure to subscribe to my blog, so you never miss another tip, trick, or technique for Living Life More Efficiently.