Now is the time of year we start using our coat closet. 6 months of the year, it is hardly accessed, other than to grab the vacuum cleaner once a week. But now, as the days get shorter and the nights get colder, we switch to hoodies, coats and scarves and we go into the coat closet almost daily. It’s time for some Coat Closet Organization.
Our coat closet is probably a lot like yours. There is a little bit of everything in there, aside from the coats: carpet cleaner, vacuum cleaner, folding chairs, games, sports equipment, umbrellas, and other miscellaneous items that have nowhere else to call home. In the 6 months of the year, it’s not used, the closet tends to get items tossed inside until we can get to it.
Tips for Organizing your Coat Closet
Here are a few tips for coat closet organization and making it accessible to everyone in your home.
- Wash all the coats, scarves, gloves and other items. Chances are good, you didn’t at the end of last season and now is a good time to freshen them up.
- Donate any coats, snow pants, gloves or other seasonal items that no longer fit, you (or someone else in your family) no longer love to wear or is past its trendy prime. You can donate them much needed items to a neighborhood school, a thrift store, or a shelter.
- Use different colored hangers for each person in your family. This shows everyone where their coats are and where to hang them back up when not in use.
- If you have little people in your home, put hooks on the back of the door at a lower level, so they can hang up their own coats instead of just tossing them on the floor.
- Use other hooks up higher for items such as umbrellas.
- Between seasons, store scarves and gloves in sealed storage bags. I like this Tuck It Away Bin from 31 Bag and Gifts. It keeps items contained and free from dust.
Time to let the coats out (WOOF!) and get organized as you switch to cooler weather clothing.
Here’s to RESETTING your Coat Closet and your life!
“A place for everything and everything in its place.” – Benjamin Franklin
P.S. If you have a favorite organizational tip for your coat closet, I’d love to know the details and learn from you.
If you found this post useful, please be sure to share it on Facebook, on Pinterest, or with others who may like it as well.